In case you live in a cave and no one has said this to you yet: Happy New Year!!! My first day of 2011 was filled with brilliant friends, hilariously bad tarot predictions, Enzo’s Pizza, and Easy A, so I feel like I’m off to a good start already.
Since I’m not the type of person who makes “lose weight and go to the gym”-type resolutions, I figured my goals would be professional, rather than personal, as usual.
In the Year Two Thousand Eleven, I, Annie Beth Ericsson, resolve to:
1. Finish revising and send out 1 picture book dummy every 3 months (at least April 1, July 1).
2. Keep a single sketchbook for the whole year.
3. Consider getting an agent. Like, actually research/do something about it.
4. Read at least 2-3 YA/middle grade novels per month, and go read new picture books in a store/library at least once a month.
5. Produce something creative/artistic every week that brings me closer to developing my personal style.
And… last but not least, continue to blog here 2-3 times a week (holidays notwithstanding)!
Since graduating, my 2010 year was all about finding balance – not pressuring myself to accomplish everything at once, unraveling the art-school mentality of constantly doing art for a deadline. I had to learn not to feel guilty for wanting to relax, to be spontaneous and have a bit of fun.
But now I’ve chilled out significantly, and I’m worried that if I don’t pick up the pace now, I’ll tip the scales and become an unmotivated lump. So, 2011 is all about working with passion! Vigor! Verve! Time to get moving!